Fairtrade America (FTA) is the U.S. chapter representing Fairtrade International, the original and global leader in fair trade certification. In 2022, the organization challenged SchroderHaus with growing consumer awareness of FTA by at least 10%, increasing trust in the Fairtrade mark by double-digits and encouraging U.S. shoppers to purchase more Fairtrade certified products.
To gain awareness for Fairtrade and educate target consumers on its mission, the SchroderHaus team developed and implemented the third annual “Choose Fairtrade. Choose the world you want.”, a campaign created by the agency in 2020 as the organization hoped to connect with consumers during COVID. In its third iteration, the fully integrated awareness campaign included the incorporation of murals in three new U.S. markets during October Fair Trade Month featuring real Fairtrade farmers. In the first two years, the campaign brought inspiring murals to Austin, Denver, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Nashville and Tacoma. By creating three new murals, FTA would continue to leverage the impact of mural art to inspire conversations about social justice issues and create visibility of Fairtrade. Mural creative, thoughtful storytelling and retail and Fairtrade certified brand (e.g. Tony’s Chocolonely and Organic India) details would help extend the campaign’s reach from coast to coast through compelling digital and influencer activations, retail promotions, licensee engagement, and trade and local media outreach.
With a combined fee and hard cost budget of only $160k, this integrated consumer campaign generated the following results:
- Contributed to an increase in consumer awareness of the Fairtrade Mark from 41% to 61% from 2021 to 2023
- Contributed to an increase in consumer trust of the Mark from 57% to 72%
- Contributed to a rise in the number of U.S. shoppers who claimed to purchase Fairtrade products from 23% to 25%
13,400+ FTA newsletter sign ups
- Nearly 14,000 website visits from social media
- A total potential reach of 841,500k and a near 5% engagement rate from influencer content
- 23 trade and local news stories
- 1.07MM impressions from social media with CPMs at $1.54 for awareness objective and $0.27 for newsletter objective