Fairtrade America (FTA) is the U.S. chapter representing Fairtrade International, the original and global leader in fair trade certification. While Fairtrade awareness and purchase intent in the U.S. are increasing, the organization sought to accelerate momentum in 2020, and challenged SchroderHaus to develop its first-ever integrated consumer awareness campaign to generate consumer familiarity and advocacy of the Fairtrade mark that appears on certified products, as well as educate consumers on the tangible benefits of Fairtrade for farmers and workers across the globe.
In lieu of in-person activations and events due to Covid quarantines, the SchroderHaus team brainstormed alternative visual tactics to capture attention, online and in person, and also analyzed past campaigns from other Fairtrade regions. The “light bulb” moment came when realizing the impact of mural art to inspire conversations about social justice issues and hope for change. The “Choose Fairtrade: Choose the World You Want,” campaign would be centered around mural art at retailers carrying Fairtrade products and in three key markets where street art is already prominent - Denver, Los Angeles and Nashville. Each mural would feature a real-life farmer within the Fairtrade system, as well as a key benefit of choosing fairtrade, e.g. gender equality and fighting poverty. The campaign’s reach would be extended nationally through digital and influencer activations, retail promotions, and local and national media outreach.
With a combined fee and hard cost budget of only $140k, this first-ever integrated consumer campaign generated the following results:
- The campaign media coverage generated more than 240 million impressions across national, local market and trade coverage
- Nearly 10,000 consumers pledged to Choose Fairtrade via the campaign site - choosefairtrade.org - and the site saw more than 16,500 unique visitors
- Influencer content had a total potential reach of 790k and a near 10% engagement rate
- Fairtrade’s campaign content on social had an 11% engagement rate
- Paid social performed well with CPMs at $0.61 with an awareness objective and CPCs at $0.40 with a traffic objective
- Most importantly, sales were up! Participating retailers saw up to 10% growth in sales of Fairtrade certified products YoY during the month-long campaign